[cvsnt] Hanging cvs.exe on cvs server

Keith D. Zimmerman keith at eagle-solutions.com
Wed Jun 4 15:11:48 BST 2003

Being the cvs admin for cvsnt has been a great experience...  Not a lot
of work to do; there is, however, a lingering issue...

Every day or two, one of my developers will come to me saying "cvs is
saying it cannot rename a file", "cvs is saying the file is locked", or
something like that.  The fix to this problem is very easy: login to the
server, look for cvs.exe running under the cvs-srv user account (my
service is running as that name for permissions/tracking reasons), and
kill the process.  When I ask what was the last thing to happen to the
file, invariably they say "this is the first time I worked on it today",
etc.  Occasionally, they will admit to having killed a hanging cvs
client process, but rarely do I have the luxury of blaming them, and
even then, should the server process die when it realizes the client is
gone?

So, any hints, tips, ideas, etc. for resolving and/or debugging this
problem?

keith d. zimmerman, mcsd
eagle solutions