[cvsnt] Hanging cvs.exe on cvs server

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Jun 4 17:19:23 BST 2003

Regardless of if problem exists only in your build 72 version or in the
current one, you'll need to upgrade to get a fix so might as well plan on
getting the upgrade and eliminate the possibility that it was fixed already.

This would probably be overkill since you seem to get the symptom with
decent regularity, but...  If you *really* want to fix the problem and
absolutely certain it is fixed, the first step I would do is try to
reproduce the problem consistently, then update the server and see if the
repro still causes the problem.  One way might be to set up ~10 clients to
HAMMER the server in the same repository using scripts build for that
purpose.  Having different user logins would be preferred to differentiate
between the sessions.  Maybe several instances running on a couple of client
machines would be enough if you used user1 at server, user2 at server, etc. etc.
for the CVSROOTS.  Let me know if you don't follow what I'm saying.

Tony--I remember you mentioning a "insanity" script--is that something like
what I'm describing?

Glen Starrett