[cvsnt] pserver && encryption

Keith D. Zimmerman keith at eagle-solutions.com
Thu Jun 5 22:33:51 BST 2003

inline

keith d. zimmerman, mcsd
eagle solutions

So there would be no way other than user education to prevent the
clueless from spewing passwords across the untrusted network using
pserver, correct?

> > Can you be more specific with this "strict checking"
> option...  If I use
> > a cert server (cacert.org, for instance) but don't turn
> strict on, does
> > the client simply not bother to check with the authority?
> >
> With strict checking, the client will check that the
> certificate is signed
> by a recognised authority (verisign, cacert, etc.) and that
> the CommonName
> is identical to the host name requested by the client.  Assuming the
> certificate authority hasn't been compromised you can then be certain
> nobody has hijacked the connection (this is basically what
> HTTPS does).
>
> Without strict checking, it does all of the above for normal
> certificates,
> but also allows self-sign certificates...  since anyone can generate a
> self-sign certificate you are far less sure that the other
> end is really
> who they say they are (I might introduce some kind of
> fingerprinting like
> ssh uses to detect certificate changes... this would at least
> tell you the
> host was the same one you contacted last time).

"all of the above" - so even if strict checking is off, it'll still say
the certificate is invalid if it comes from cacert/verisign, but has
been revoked, or is invalid according to the cert authority, or the
CommonName does not match?