[cvsnt] Problem retrieving doc files

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Jun 10 08:40:50 BST 2003

If you are doing this from the graph view in WinCvs then it will always
fail! The menu item "Retrieve revision" on this menu *only* applies to
text files, not binaries.
You should instead select the file in the main window, then click the
update button and in the dialogue change to the tab "Update options".
Here you click the "Retrieve rev, tag, branch" checkbox and fill in the
combobox with the wanted revision number. Then OK.
Now CVS will extract this exact revision and you can then open it in MSWord.

Note that the file is now on an old revision so you cannot edit it and
commit it back to the repository. If this is what you want then you must
1) create a branch on the wanted revision, update to the branch and then edit
or
2) Copy the retrieved old revision somewhere outside the sandbox, then
   update the file again but this time check the "Reset any sticky..." box,
   then copy the old file back on top of the sandbox and edit it like you
   want. THen you can commit it as a new revision on the trunk.

/Bo