[cvsnt] cvsnt / samba problem

Mitch Davis Mitch.Davis at EXTEL.COM.AU
Fri Jun 20 04:41:32 BST 2003

> From: Bo Berglund [mailto:bo.berglund at telia.com]
> > (Patrick Olinet) wrote:
>
> > - I think it's a common setup, specially when you deal with web
> >developpment and you want your remote web server to access
> your sandbox
> >web files (in my case, my web server is also on my linux
> box). To put a
> >web server locally on the Windows machine isn't a solution since it
> >requires you to duplicate its installation/configuration for each web
> >developper. It could be a lot of work and that's too error-prone.
>
> I fear that what you write also implies that there are several
> developers who access the same sandbox (why would it otherwise be an
> issue with the web server configuration). This is a really big
> security hole in my mind and should never happen.

Security hole?  I think the biggest problem is
that sooner or later, two people will edit the same
file at the same time.  Or delete some files.  Or
some other action which compromises the shared
sandbox.  That way leads to madness!!

One solution to the above problem is for people to have
their own sandbox on their PC, and they have a "push"
command which uploads their changes into a directory
on the server.  From the point of view of the server
software, everything is the same as before.  Users can
have distinct directories on the server.

Mitch.

The information contained in this message and any attachments is
confidential and intended for the named recipient(s). If you have received
this message in error, please contact sender by return e-mail and
destroy the message and any attachments.
Any opinions or undertakings expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority
states them to be the opinions of Extel.