[cvsnt] Corrupted usernames with CVSNT on Linux

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Mar 6 11:16:27 GMT 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:50:01 -0000, "Jon Rabone" <jon.rabone at criticalblue.com>
wrote:

>I'm using cvsnt-1.11.1.3-65 (built from source) on Debian (unstable)
>linux; Everything works fine authenticating to a Windows 2000 DC running
>CVSNT, EXCEPT that when I commit changes, I seem to get a '#' character
>prepended to the username; now I have logs of the sort:
>
>----------------------------
>revision 1.9
>date: 2003/03/05 23:34:37;  author: #jonr;  state: Exp;  lines: +12 -0
>Tidy up and restructure.
>----------------------------
>revision 1.8
>date: 2003/03/03 12:45:37;  author: jonr;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -3
>Use new dir layout.
>----------------------------
>
>Note the extra '#' in front of the user.
>
>What might make things a little more interesting is the fact that the
>users are actually pulled from the Win2K Active Directory using LDAP.
>However, other UNIX utilities don't seem to suffer from additional '#'s.

It sounds like the username that's coming back has slashes in it.  cvsnt will
replace any slashes in the username with '#' internally, which is normally
only an issue on win32, since Unix doesn't really support slashes in usernames
(with the exception of the service names in kerberos, which usually don't get
returned by the standard user functions,)

So it shounds like for some reason the authentication layer is returning /jonr
as the username.

Try looking at the output of 'cvs -t' to see what it's seeing as the username.

You could try compiling a small program that calls getpwuid()  and see what
that's returning.