[cvsnt] OT: Which VS6 files to store in CVS?

Mitch Davis Mitch.Davis at EXTEL.COM.AU
Fri Mar 7 05:49:51 GMT 2003

> From: Bo Berglund
>
> And to add on Erik's views:
> We do keep the generated exe/dll files in CVS too, in contradiction
> to what many say (CVS being a *source* control system etc).
>
> The reason is much the same but worse:
> It is in reality impossible to recreate an accurate exe from
> past sources because so much in the developer's PC influence
> the compile process.

Also, as time goes by, you might upgrade compilers, 3rd
party libs, etc, which further complicates duplicating a
build.

> example if someone has a newer version of DAO installed when
> the old sources
> are compiled then this gets included in the exe and now it
> will not run on
> the client machine that has not got this update. There are
> tons of other
> cases as well.
> So my view is that the final product should also be there so
> it can be easily
> grabbed on a tag or date by anyone.

I agree.  But the result of your build doesn't have to
go into CVS.

What we do is, do a build in a CVS directory, which gives us the
.exe.  We copy this whole directory to a non-CVS-controlled
area, renaming the directory to something which includes
the release number.  That way, we have the exe, the debug
files, the CVS/Entries file, etc, etc.  We also make a CD-ROM
with this directory and everything needed to rebuild it,
such as compilers, libraries, OS patches, etc.

None of this is stored in CVS.

Regards,

Mitch.

The information contained in this message and any attachments is
confidential and intended for the named recipient(s). If you have received
this message in error, please contact sender by return e-mail and
destroy the message and any attachments.
Any opinions or undertakings expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority
states them to be the opinions of Extel.