[cvsnt] Rehashing the "repository administrators" problem

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Mar 10 20:01:57 GMT 2003

Using trusted authentication with a domain account you need to be a domain
administrator in builds < 73.  Build 73+ checks if you have a shadow account
on the local machine (an account with the same name, password is irrelevant)
that is an administrator.  Personally, I don't think it makes much sense,
but that's how it is set up.

I am using the admin file for setting up repository admins.  On the server,
in the CVSROOT of each repository you want to add an admin to, create the
file "admin" and put just the base username (not domain\username) and save
it.  Do NOT put the "admin" file in through CVS under source control--it
won't work (there would be a sizable security hole).

I've brought this up with Tony and his impression is that it is correct
behavior for an integrated login permissions check, but I respectfully
disagree (note that there are other issues at hand which complicate the
situation--namely impersonation vs. no impersonation).  Regardless, now that
you know how it works, you can set up your administrators and secure it
properly.

Hope this helps.

Glen Starrett