[cvsnt] CVSNT Event Viewer Error

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Mar 12 20:48:22 GMT 2003

I noticed this also, but I knew it was nothing to worry about since the
string did indicate startup was successful.

Event viewer is looking for a format string to apply that event info into,
but it doesn't have one.  I went through this on a project awhile back--I'll
dig out some links to help out.

You need to have a message file:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/
message_files.asp?frame=true

and the message file needs to be registered on the machine where the event
log is receiving the message (in this case, the CVSNT server).  We used the
resource DLL approach outlined above and registered the DLL on the server.
I think using regsvr32 dllname.dll was all that was required, but there may
have been other registry entries as well (see the "To obtain description
strings" section--that is how EventLog gets them).

reporting event example:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/
reporting_an_event.asp

Call for ReportEvent: