[cvsnt] cannot create read lock in repository '...': No such file or directory

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Mar 14 20:57:03 GMT 2003

It's likely file permissions.  Assuming you have the CVSNT server service
running under the System user (default setting), you need to make sure that
SYSTEM has rights to those directories.  Similarly, you need to make sure
the users who are accessing the service have permissions in the directories.
I'll take a stab at summarizing what I've seen here, someone please correct
me where I'm wrong:

Account	Permission	Directory
CVS-Service	RW		cvsrepos\CVSROOT\* (+ subdirectories)
[ NT Authority\SYSTEM ]

CVS-User	RW		cvsrepos\CVSROOT\history
		RWCD		cvsrepos\MODULE\* (+ subdirectories)
[ jprogrammer ]

CVS-Reader	RW		cvsrepos\CVSROOT\history
		R		cvsrepos\MODULE\* (+ subdirectories)
[ pbrowser ]

Because you can change around the accounts, it gets confusing.

--CVS-Service account is the account CVSNT service is running under, SYSTEM
by default.

--CVS-User is the account a developer with RW permissions would be using.
In other words, Joe Programmer's jprogrammer account would need these
rights.  IF you have impersonation _disabled_ (not the default) then
whichever account you are using for the CVS-Service will need to be granted
these rights.

--CVS-Reader is the account of someone who you don't want to change, but do
want to allow them to update files.

Where {username} is the user account accessing CVSNT.

NOTE:  These permissions (I think!) are the minimum set, or close to that.
It's far easier to allow SYSTEM full access over everything--I don't know if
the CVS-Service has any other interaction as itself in the repository when
impersonation is on.

I also know there are "writer" and "reader" files, but I believe their use
varies based on which protocol you are using.

I hope this helps!

Glen Starrett