[cvsnt] speed issues and timeouts with a bad latency connection

Anand Arvind anand.arvind at click2learn.com
Sun Mar 16 17:31:28 GMT 2003

We have been on CVSNT for more than 3 years now for our engineering group
and if we work from our US offices things work well. We have this setup with
NT auth (a recent build, will find exact number if required) using named
pipes, the same as it is in the US. Now from our India offices, when using
cvs we find it is very slow in syncing up, doing diff's and other operations
in general and even though there is enough network bandwidth, we find that
the latency is sometimes close to 500 to 1000 ms unlike here where it is
around 10 ms. Most common errors we get are named pipe errors and I can send
exact details if needed.

I need some advice on how to figure out what can be done to make the
experience better as this and how to go about figuring this out.

Thanks
Anand