[cvsnt] CVSNT 1.11.1.3-76 pserver very slow on serveral servers

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Mar 20 11:45:11 GMT 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:59:56 +0800, zhuyunchuan <zhuyunchuan at 263.net> wrote:

>Can you give some advice in detail? I don't what the reverse DNS is and

Every machine needs a forward DNS ie.

foo.bar.com -> 192.168.1.1

and a reverse DNS ie.

192.168.1.1 -> foo.bar.com

There will be a domain somewhere which is the IP range reversed + in-addr.arpa
eg.

1.168.192.in-addr.arpa

This is the reverse zone, and should contain PTR records for each machine with
a forward IP.

Win2k seems to attempt to set this up automatically (it works well enough for
our internal LAN here).

Unfortunately I'm not good at these kind of tutorials (and without knowing how
your network is setup couldn't offer much advice anyway).  Try searching
around google or in the manuals for your DNS server.

>how to fix it. I asked the network manager and he didn't know either.

That's scary!

I recommend the O-Reilly book 'DNS and BIND'.