[cvsnt] mfc70u.dll required in install

Michael J. Ditto janus at frii.com
Fri Mar 21 01:18:51 GMT 2003

Other open source projects make installation practically impossible so that
the developers can make money by charging clients to install and configure
the software for them.  I find the CVSNT installation, while certainly
lacking, to be leaps and bounds above that of, say, Bugzilla, PostgreSQL or
Scarab. I have yet to see an open source project installer which is a total
cake-walk.  Even the really well done ones often have you downloading and
installing other dependencies separately to avoid the confusing rat's nest
of distributing software with differing open source licenses.

The issues with the CVSNT installer are minor enough to be of low priority
from my point of view.  CVS is not for computer neophytes, so I think that
if someone can't figure out how to get around the very minor issues in the
installer, they will have an impossible time actually administering CVS once
it is installed.