[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT installation tips will be taken off the Internet

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Mar 21 07:21:56 GMT 2003

> Tony, when you have two products in front of you (CVS and CVSNT) and
> products that use CVS explicitly steer you away from CVSNT

Which products would that be? If you're alluding to the ViewCvs/WebCvs
issues reported lately, there were fixes to them within *days* from both
Tony *and* the ViewCvs team. Tony even went to lengths writing an RCS
emulation layer for those that didn't just upgrade their ViewCvs
installation.

> and then you give
> it a try anyway and the thing will not install and then when you do
install
> it the clients don't work,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember you ever saying anything useful
about the "clients don't work" issue. Maybe we could help you at that point?

> take a guess which is the simpler path? Dicking
> around with the DOS product or moving to the original.

DOS? Now you're getting outright infantile...

> I am sure it's a fine
> product and all and you should all be commended for making the effort, but
> when somebody complains and all the babies start crying

You didn't get the point. The crying (or "ass-kissing" as you prefered to
call it in your other post) was about people who *successfully* installed
CVSNT based on Bo's instructions who thus wanted to prevent him from taking
the docs off the net just because *you* weren't successful with them. Bo
himself outlined under which circumstances those docs came into existence
and that they currently /are/ not up to date. Just take a look at the state
of the official Cederqvist wrt up-to-date-ness. That's what *I* call
pathetic. If it takes them years(!) to even add one minor new feature they
still couldn't be bothered to put it in the docs?! Well, they're of course
still better than the majority of Open Source documentation out there which
is simply non-existant at all... go figure...

> and you IGNORE the
> issue

Huh? A new release with the installer issue fixed was out within the next
day(!). Doesn't look like ignoring the issue to me at all! How many open
source projects do *you* know that offer this kind of response time?

> it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why the problems
> persist.

It also doesn't take even so much as finishing elementary school to see why
you were banned for the comments in your other post... so long...

Oliver