[cvsnt] Re: Changes to how 'cvs login' reads password.

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Thu Mar 27 19:51:36 GMT 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:11:07 -0000, "Mark Griffiths" <mark at chive.com> wrote:
>

>>It appears the cvs.exe is not reading the password from stdin.  Can anybody
>>confirm this behaviour change from build 65?  Any ideas how we can login
>>non-interactively?  I will try to narrow down exactly which version things
>>stopped working, but I'm not getting great transfer rates today.
>>
>Looking at the logs shows nothing special around that time - the getpass
>routine was written in early 2000, and only modified for build 73 when plink
>integration was added.  Normally, though, a frontend will implement login via
>the cvsgui protocol - you'll receive a request for CVS_GETPASS and you can
>open up a dialog box, request the password, then reply with it.

FWIW, TortoiseCVS has (until now) always written the password to stdin.
The primary reason for this being that it works with any client that
people care to use, not just CVSNT.

Users reported that logging in did no longer work, so TortoiseCVS has
now been rewritten to use PostMessage() instead.

-Torsten