[cvsnt] question about host name and pserver protocol

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Thu Mar 27 19:51:15 GMT 2003

Norman Clerman wrote:
>    Now I have a second workstation on the LAN, this one running SuSE
> Linux 8.1. On it I set my CVSROOT environment variable to be
> :pserver:myname at hostname//e/CVSROOT. When I enter cvs login, I see the
> line: logging in to :pserver:myname at hostname:2401//e/CVSROOT., and I am
> prompted for a password, which I enter. The screen then shows: Unknown
> host hostname., and terminates. (I have successfully accessed the W2K
> server from the Linux workstation, using the name hostname, with
> smbclient and smbmount)

Can you ping the host from the Linux box?  My guess is no.  Add an entry to the
/etc/hosts file for the CVS server and make sure you can ping it.

The reason you can connect using the hostname using Samba tools is that NetBios
resolution is a completely different animal, and the smb* tools will actually do
a broadcast looking for the host when the DNS lookup fails...

HTH

John