[cvsnt] Feature request: Commitable tags

Tuomas Huhtanen tuomas.huhtanen at vertex.fi
Mon May 5 09:18:17 BST 2003

>>>The huge drawback is that you lose history tracking of the correllation
>>>between files merely accepting trunk changes and those actually being
>>>modified on the branch.
>>
>>I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Care to elaborate?
>

> It would be impossible to reliably do a date-based checkout from a
> commitable tag.

Yes, that is true. But for me it is not that big a trade off. I don't
even remember when was the last time I checked out something based on a
date. All I'm really interested in, is the releases/release candidates,
which I tag with a normal (read only) tag, and then the actual
development branches/writable tags. If i have to track down some change,
it goes through a file level tracking and then by commitid.

Of course, I would like cvs to version control all the meta data as
well, but that is out of the scope of this discussion (and out of the
scope of cvs I believe as well)

Anyway, it seems that there is not very high level of enthusiasm around
this feature. I might try to implement it myself, but I'm not that
convinced that it will result anything, since my c/c++ skills are next
to nill. And one thing is that I dont even know how I can debug the
cvsnt server. But i guess there are some instructions somewhere. I'll
just have to find them..

But I'd like to thank you all from the different aspects in the
discussion about this feature. It's been an enlightening discussion.

Tuomas