[cvsnt] Re: Problems during Update

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon May 12 16:37:16 BST 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003 10:53:33 -0400, "Keith D. Zimmerman"
<kzimmerman at eshcom.com> wrote:

>It would seem like you could do a similar thing to the locking thing....
>As such (I don't know where the code is, but here is a potential
>solution...)

That's not the problem.  The problem is the rename after it's built the file -
cvs creates _new_foo.txt, which is non-atomic (which is why it's done as a
temporary file) then does a single atomic rename to foo.txt.  NAV erroneously
opens the temporary file to virus scan it (even if, it seems, it's been told
not to) so the rename fails.

Repeating the rename (with suitable annoying warnings about broken AV
scanners) sounds like it could work, but it doesn't, due to a quirk of the NT
locking system I haven't got a handle on yet.