[cvsnt] Working around 4096 bytes command line size limit

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun May 18 14:37:37 BST 2003

Hartmut Honisch wrote:

> I have patched the cvsgui protocol files to work around the 4096 bytes
> command line length limit on NT/2K/XP (it's even shorter on 9x/ME: 256
> bytes). When calling CVS via the cvsgui protocol on Win32 platforms, the
> parameters for CVS would be passed though a temporary file, and only the

AFAIK the CVSGUI protocol is not cvsnt specific so can't be patched in that
way, but you'd have to ask on cvsgui-dev about that - I don't touch the
CVSGUI bits.

> I also recently had bug reports from users using Win9x who complained that
> they could not enter comments longer that about 200 chars because of the
> command line length limit.

2.2.x won't support Win95 anyway, so that isn't an issue (btw. the log file
can already be passed from a file - don't pass it on the command line,
since it can be very big).