[cvsnt] Tools for debugging DLL problems (was RE: Can't get SSPI to work (2.0.4))

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Wed May 21 16:45:27 BST 2003

> From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
> I'm guessing what's happening is that sspi_protocol.dll is
> there, but you're missing a system DLL somewhere which it relies on.

I know this particular problem's been solved, but...

As a general tool for debugging such things, I suggest Filemon,
available from http://www.sysinternals.com/ as free software.  This
allows you to watch all file operations by a specific process, including
DLL opens.  Look out for failed file opens.

That site is, in general, an excellent resource for sysadmins and
developers.  Other highlights include a similar tool for monitoring
registry accesses, a way of capturing blue screens of death for
analysis, and a cornucopia of similar stuff.  Some of the bigger
packages are now only available for a fee, but the small stuff such as
filemon and regmon remain free.

		- Peter