[cvsnt] (licensing) What do I have to do to keep CVS and non-GNUseperated?

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Wed Nov 5 17:06:00 GMT 2003

> From: Erik Anderson [mailto:erikba at teamworkgroup.com]
[...]
> Or maybe I should just GPL the installation
> program...
[...]
> > > My question is about the CVS license.  I did end up reading
> > > the GNU license, and if we do end up using CVS as part of the
> > > installation, there could be an argument that they are two
> > > different objects and not a single application.  I'd like to
> > > know to what extent and how carefully I need to draw that
> > > line as to not cause any problems down the line.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.  I have spent some time looking at some
of these issues.  None of what I say is necessarily accurate.  If you
choose to rely on it, you do so at your own risk.

Are the users who are going to install your application savvy enough to
be able to install CVSNT as a separate stage before they install your
application?  If so:

- Make any changes you need to CVSNT, and release those changes (only)
as GPL.  This can include extensive changes - complete replacement of
the installation process, for example, to remove most of the options.
The key point is that if you make these changes, you must release them.

- Include the CVSNT installation as a separate part of your installation
medium.

- In the documentation, lead the user through the process of
installing+verifying CVSNT, then your application.

If you do these things, and you do not link any part of your application
against any CVS (or other GPL) libraries, then the 'mere aggregation'
clause of GPL should apply, I think.

		- Peter