[cvsnt] Merging branch with identical versions still changes

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Nov 6 23:47:36 GMT 2003

> It still doesn't require them to merge from trunk to branch
> prior to merging
> back from branch to trunk.  They perform the merge from
> branch to a sandbox they
> have moved to trunk.  Until that works 100%, they have to fix
> it on their
> branch.  Once they are satisfied, then _you_ merge from their
> branch to trunk
> and then _you_ can commit to trunk.  Same diff, but without
> any spurious commits
> to the repository.

But the easiest way to get a non-trivial merge to merge in cleanly is to do
as I've outlined, I think.  Do you now of a better way?  I would think that
with the method you're proposing the dev would be manually merging code
changes into the dev branch instead of CVS automatically merging most of the
updates + a little manual conflict resolution, which seems like a lot more
trouble.

I can certainly live with the workaround for inspection and knowing there is
nothing wrong with the merges gives me peace of mind.  An extra bump on the
rev is no big deal as long as the why is understood.

Regards,

Glen Starrett