[cvsnt] cvs-emacs

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Fri Nov 7 20:21:15 GMT 2003

Richard Lovell wrote:

>Hi Thorsten,

That's "Torsten" :-)

>A big thanks for your input so far.

Thanks. I have Cc'ed the list again, as this could be of interest to others.

>>On Windows or on Unix?
>>

>Windows
>

>>Yes it does - CVS is normally used as a client-server system. The cvs
>>executable is both a server and a client.
>>Emacs requires either
>>

>Thanks for clearing up my misconception. Because I had been using jCVS I
>didnt look closely enough to see that cvsnt is also a client.
>

>>a) that the path to the cvs executable is explicitly set up in .emacs
>>

>Actually, I have done this in pcl-cvs.el to avoid changing .emacs for each
>user
>
>b) the cvs executable is in the PATH.
>For us emacs is the dvpt environment of a GIS package, which we run across a
>network. We set a whole lot of environment variables when loading emacs. To
>amend PATH would be straight forward.
>
>Anyway, the pathing doesn't seem to be the issue here, as I can use a cmd
>shell to communicate with cvsnt without problem. I'm not sure if it's the
>parsing of the response from cvs.exe or our config of emacs and the
>inter-process communication. Whenever I communicate from within emacs using
>pcl-cvs commands it crashes the session. If I use a shell within emacs it
>gobbles the cpu entirely and stays there.
>
>Our version of emacs (20.3) recommends using cmdproxy.exe (which comes with
>the distribution) instead of cmd.exe. This has been set up as per the
>instructions.

Well, FWIW, here are the details of my setup:

- Windows 2000 SP4
- FSF Emacs 21.2
- No CVS-specific configuration in .emacs
- CVSNT 2.0.11
- In the environment, CVS_RSH is set to "tortoiseplink" (for making SSH
work)

No further setup is required. Using M-x shell also works out of the box.

-Torsten