[cvsnt] sspi, ssh, and sserver

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Mon Nov 10 08:50:53 GMT 2003

Elliot Mednick wrote:

> 2) So, I gave up and started using SSH.  I installed OpenSSH on my
> server system.  I have no problems on the client using the command
> line:
>
> cvs -d :ssh:server_system.com:/play -t ls
>
> This uses the builtin putty client apparently.
>
> But, when I try to do the same in WinCVS, that is, select SSH, it
> uses :ext:  and it can't find the built-in SSH client.  Yes, I know
> the drill about the compiled perl script to find my putty that I need
> to install.  But why doesn't WinCVS SSH use :ssh: and use the builtin
> CvsNT putty?

The whole CVSROOT configuration framework of WinCvs is scheduled to be
more or less rewritten from scratch (based on cvs info). The current
state was devised before CVSNT introduced the built-in SSH client. It
was not deemed sensible to spent time on adding support for that to the
deprecated framework. The new CVSROOT configuration is said to be the
last open task before the next milestone release.
As a workaround you could probably use CVSNT's protocol_map.ini to map
one of the protocols that WinCvs does currently support to :ssh: .

> 3) Why NOT use SSH?  Is sspi and sserver the preferred way?  Os is it
> just that, historically, SSH was been harder to set up in Windows?
> SSH is mentioned very little in the documentation.

SSH on Windows has the BIG drawback that all checkins will happen as
SYSTEM. As Tony has pointed out on this very thread there is currently
no known workaround to this.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver