[cvsnt] Remote Connection Help

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Nov 11 18:34:29 GMT 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:49:15 -0800, "Randall Morgan"
<rmorgan at cowboydate.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am new to cvs ad have just installed cvs on a windows 2K server. I
>followed the direction provided in the document found at:
>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85831169/InstallCVSNT.html. I can login to cvs
>from a command window on the local machine. However, any attempt to login
>from a remote machine give me an error of:
>
>Fatal error, aborting.
>pserver:<user>: no such user
>cvs login: authorization failed: server <myserver.com> rejected access to
>/test for user pserver: <user>
>
>Note: for security reasons I have replaced the actual server and user with
>place holders here...
>

>Any help would be greatly appreciated,
>
>Randall Morgan

Well if you use :pserver: (recommended only if you have a mixed
environment) then you need to:
1) Make sure that you have a user account on the server machine
2) You add this account to the passwd file using cvs passwd when you
are logged on locally as an admin.
3) You need also have a look at the CVSROOT/config file to set the
proper authentication mode

Did you do the above?
Note that you cannot add just any name as you like to the passwd file,
it must be a valid account login name on the server.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)