[cvsnt] Why does CVSNT not update some folders????

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Nov 12 23:41:42 GMT 2003

Well,
I might have checked out the various submodules of the top module at
different times and there might have nbeen different versions of CVSNT
living both on the server and the client.

But my main question is really this:
Where does CVSNT keep its checkout data except in the CVS subdirectories?
AFAICT the CVS folder in the parent directory contains all needed info in
the Entries and Entries.Extra files to define my Module4 as a submodule.
And the CVS folder in Module4 contains valid info concerning the files and
folders contained therein. This is witnessed by the fact that an update
started from the Module4 folder runs without a hitch.
But an update one level up does not even go down into Module4 and if I add
the flag for creating the directories then I get the "move away" error
messages.
So there *must* be some extra trick being played here that makes Module4
different from all the other modules even though the Entries files in the
parent CVS folder lists Module4 as a directory just as the other modules.

Really puzzling!

BTW, if I move away the Module4 folder (rename to something else) and do
an update with create folder flag set then of course Module4 is recreated.
But that was really not my issue, I want to understand what is going on.

/Bo