[cvsnt] Re: SSH & an unusual port

Blake McBride blake at integra-online.com
Mon Nov 17 20:17:53 GMT 2003

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:35:59 -0600, Blake McBride
> <blake at integra-online.com> wrote:
>

>>Greetings,
>>
>>I have been trying to access a CVS repository for about 10 hours now
>>with no success.  I think my main impediment is the fact that the server
>>is running ssh on an unusual port.  I can't seem to get cvs to use ssh
>>on an unusual port (although I know it is possible since others are
>>doing it with eclipse).  Here are my particulars:
>

> With the built in ssh you can't change port (it's something I'll
> probably add at some point).  You'd have to use the external ssh,
> which should work OK - try EXT_SSH="plink -P <port> %h".
>
> Tony

Thanks for the help.  First don't you mean "CVS_RSH" rather than "EXT_SSH"?

The problem is that cvs tries looking for a program named "plink -P
2000" instead of looking for program "plink" with arguments "-P" and
"2000".  I think cvs is using exec without parsing the variable to split
up the arguments.  Perhaps that would be a problem if the path had
a space in it.

If I make CVS_RSH="plink" then it connects but doesn't work because the
wrong port is being used.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Blake McBride