[cvsnt] Re: cross-platform SSPI/NTLM implementation for CVSNT?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Nov 19 11:58:11 GMT 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:04:02 +0000 (UTC), "Oliver Giesen"
<ogware at gmx.net> wrote:

>I don't really know a lot about these things so this might be totally
>irrelevant but I just read (on http://www.mozillazine.org) that the
>Mozilla.org people managed to implement platform-independent NTLM
>authentication. The article announcing this says that by this they were
>able to ditch the old Windows-only implementation which relied on
>Microsoft's SSPI API...
>
>Now, I was thinking: Could this maybe also be a solution to bring
>SSPI-authentication (or NTLM) to (non-Windows) CVSNT builds?

It's not really worth it - there's no encryption, for example.  I did
play around with NTLM on Unix a year or so ago, but ditched it as all
the implementations around then were NTLMv1 (which is about as secure
as pserver).  A full NTLM implementation needs something like samba
(you should be able to join domains, for example).