[cvsnt] Sync of two CVS repository placed across two different Timezone

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Mon Oct 13 13:26:00 BST 2003

> From: Manoj.SN [mailto:manojs at jbsoftindia.com]
>  I have one Win 2000 server in US and another Win2000 serve
> in India.
[...]
> At the time of Sync the file that has
> been modified
> at the Indian side is always replacing the file modified on
> the US side.
> This is bcos the File Sync software always compares the
> timestamp of both
> the files and finds that Indian time is greater than US time
> so it does that
> way though the file modified on the US side is the latest. Is
> there anything
> the CVS can do to solve this problem.

Windows 2000's system clock is UTC, and files are timestamped in UTC.
Are you sure that:

- Your servers are configured for the correct timezones;

- Your clients are configured for the correct timezones?

If I recall correctly (I'm not near my CVS server), CVSNT can be
configured to use the server timestamp at commit, which may work around
the client problem.  However, if your server clocks are skewed, there's
not a lot you can do - and the file sync software will probably show the
same behaviour on non-CVS files.

Does this help, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

		- Peter