[cvsnt] Re: resolving conflicts before committing...

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Oct 14 12:50:16 BST 2003

Oliver Giesen wrote:

> I'm thinking of writing something like a "Mark resolved" macro for
> WinCvs to get rid of the conflict marker after a conflict has been
> manually resolved. Is there maybe already a recommended practice for
> this?
>
> Here's what I would do:
>
> - scan the specified file for conflict markers
> - if none are found, remove the timestamp from the corresponding line
> in ./CVS/Entries, maybe even replacing the "Result of merge" with
> something like "Resolved" or something like that.

I bascially got the thing ready now and it seems to work nicely.

One more thing though: would I have to look into Entries.Log as well or
could I rely on conflict files always being in Entries already? When
exactly is Entries.Log used?

> If there's a way to do this without hacking the ./CVS/Entries file it
> would sure be preferable...

Just to be on the safe side, I decided to use Entries.Backup when
rewriting the Entries file. I was however a bit confused that the docs
say that Entries.Backup would contain the /new/ contents of the Entries
file... now why should that be called a "Backup" ??

What I implemented now is this:

1.  copy Entries to Entries.Backup
2.  attempt to rewrite Entries
2x. if rewrite fails, copy Entries.Backup back to Entries and raise the
exception
3.  finally remove Entries.Backup

I think this makes more sense in the given context as this way you'll
always end up with a valid Entries file which according to my
understanding would not necessarily be the case if I followed the
Cederqvist description of Entries.Backup.

Comments?

Cheers,

--
Oliver