[cvsnt] CVS server requirement

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Fri Oct 17 09:24:05 BST 2003

> From: Yang, Judy Bin [mailto:jyang at atsautomation.com]
> Could anybody tell me the Server requirement of CVS (where
> CVSNT running ) ?

- A supported operating system (I have a CVSNT server running on Windows
2000 Server, but there are other options - pretty much any 'NT-type'
Microsoft OS will do and it also runs on some UNIXes)

- A few megabytes of RAM, although that can rise at the instant you
check in a large file as CVSNT stores the file in RAM while it is
processing.  It's certainly not a memory hog.

I've had problems setting up CVSNT on two machines that also had
Microsoft SQL Server installed, but they were developer boxes with a
*lot* of other software on so that may not have been the only odd
factor.

> We have a server , a network drive which already has some
> stuff there. Can we still use it as our CVS server ? Thanks.

That's what I'm doing, and it works fine here.  Our CVSNT server is also
running as a file and print server, a domain controller, and as a
Microsoft Exchange server.  Server is a homebrew Pentium 4 2GHz, 1G RAM,
mirrored 80G IDE hard disks, and it doesn't notice the load from CVS at
all.  Yes, I know all about separating services onto different hardware,
but we're short of kit :-(.

		- Peter
--
Peter Crowther, Director, Melandra Limited