[cvsnt] Re: Missing cvs directory

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Oct 25 09:07:06 BST 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:30:52 +0800, "Nicholas Yue"
<nicholas.y at NOSPAM.immersivetechnologies.com> wrote:

>We have been running a CVS server for the last year or so. Some of the
>modules were not actively worked on by the developers for a couple of
>months. I have noticed that lately, I have not been able to commit some
>files for some modules.
>
>I have narrow it down to the fact that some the CVS directory [just the
>directory that house the Root etc. files] has gone missing.
>
>I am trying to establish the reasons for that.
>
>Looking at our backup tape, it seems that it has gone missing for quite a
>while and since nobody was committing to those modules, nobody realise there
>was a problem.
>
>The interesting observation is that even without the CVS directory, I am
>able to check-out, graph but not commit.
>
>I need to determine if it
>
>1. A deliberate removal
>2. Accidental removal
>3. Virus/worm etc. problem

Since some time ago the CVS folder attributes are set to hidden. So if
you change your settings in Windows Explorer from the (braindead)
defaults Microsoft sets it to with "show hidden" you will see these
folders.
If your backup system does not backup hidden files and folders then
you should really go for a different backup software.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)