[cvsnt] tagging and branching

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Oct 28 09:01:26 GMT 2003

Ian Huynh wrote:

> I've looked at the documentation and it eludes to -r option
>
> eg.
>     cvs rtag -r myBranch myTag_For_myBranch

...plus the module name of course, but yes, that's what you need to do.

> but -r is described in the help file as followed:
>
> -r tag
> Only tag those files that contain tag.  This can be used to rename a
> tag: tag only the files identified by the old tag, then delete the
> old tag, leaving the new tag on exactly the same files as the old tag.
>

> My questions are:
>
> 1. i don't want the old tag removed

That was only an example of what the -r option /could/ be used for. The
actions described above would look something like this:

cvs rtag -rOldTag NewTag Module
cvs rtag -d OldTag

..., i.e. the tag removal is always a separate and conscious action.

> 2. what about new files added to myBranch? Would they have a tag
> myBranch ? If not, how would they be included    in
> myTag_For_myBranch?

That's exactly the point: They wouldn't be on the branch if they didn't
have the branch tag. So, yes, all files added to that branch will
indeed automatically have that branch tag.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org