[cvsnt] Need help to get cvsnt up

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Oct 30 22:45:42 GMT 2003

Hi again,
you got this incomplete!
The prefix points to a common point on your hard disk where all of
your repositories are located. So if you set the prefix then that is
not used in any connection from a client. That is the purpose of the
prefix (to hide the base location of the repository so it can be
easily used also from UNIX and can be moved without users having to
change their checked out files).
But you must also initialize at least one repository below the prefix
location. Example:
Prefix = D:\ASPEN_CVSREPO
First repository on your drive: D:\ASPEN_CVSREPO\REPO1
Second repository: D:\ASPEN_CVSREPO\REPO2

When this is done you will find the following folders:
D:\ASPEN_CVSREPO\REPO1\CVSROOT
D:\ASPEN_CVSREPO\REPO2\CVSROOT
If they don't exist then you are not ready. They are created when the
repository is initialized by CVSNT.

To connect to this use the following CVSROOT settings:
  :sspi:SC-SMOKHTARZAD:/REPO1
  :sspi:SC-SMOKHTARZAD:/REPO2

Since you have the server and client on the same W2000 workstation
there is no need to specify a user as you have done. Also, if you do
specify the user then you must do a cvs login before you can use the
repository.

So once you have the above settings in your CVSNT server you can do
the following on the command line:
set CVSROOT=:sspi:SC-SMOKHTARZAD:/REPO1
cvs ls

This should display a list similar to this:
Listing modules on server
CVSROOT

This is pretty basic stuff and you must get this working before you
add the extra bells and whistles like CVSMailer.
How did you manage to install CVSMailer in the CVSNT server without
having access to the repository? The configuration files in the
CVSROOT module must be checked out, modified and the committed and
this is likely not possible if you can't get the server up...

/Bo

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:30:07 -0800, "Shahriar Mokhtarzad"
<shahriar_mokhtarzad at pacbell.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>After taking much of Bo berglund's time I am back to step one. I am trying
>to setup a
>"cvsnt" server on my local machine named "SC_SMOKHTARZAD"
>win2k pro with the latest service pack from MS.
>the following are the steps I have taken in setting up the server.
>
>The only way I can get cvsnt to work is to change to be
>CVSROOT=D:/ASPEN_CVSREPO
>then I can check thing in and out but the CVSMailer does not work
>
>I can not figure out where I am going wrong.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-shahriar
>
>My plan is to run the "cvsnt" as a server on my local node for the rest of
>the group.
>1- I installed the "cvsnt"  (cvsnt-2.0.11.exe)
>2- The repository is on "SC_SMOKHTARZAD" on "D" drive
>3- configured the "cvsnt" (the dialog box)
>        Repositories -> Repository Prefix (is checked) and set to
>"D:/ASPEN_CVSREPO"
>4- Server side support for ntserver protocol (is checked)  - per
>installation doc
>5- Impersonation enabled (is checked)  - per installation doc
>6- Temporary Directory is set to "D:\CVSTEMP"
>7- I started the server.
>
>set the environment variable
>CVSROOT=CVSROOT=:sspi:EXTREME\SMokhtarzad at SC-SMOKHTARZAD:2401:D:\ASPEN_CVSRE
>PO
>
>in a cmd shell I do:
>
>--> cvs ls
>cvs [ls aborted]: unrecognized auth response from SC-SMOKHTARZAD: cvs
>[server aborted]: Authenticati
>on failed
>
>--> cvs checkout CVSROOT
>cvs [checkout aborted]: unrecognized auth response from SC-SMOKHTARZAD: cvs
>[server aborted]: Authen
>tication failed

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)