[cvsnt] No conflict when merging, where one is expected

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Sep 2 15:30:31 BST 2003

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:14:13 +0200, Mike Lehmann <meiklehmann at gmx.de>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I create a branch-tag for a file. Then I remove (and commit) it on the
>main trunk. Now I checkout the branch, modify the file and commit the
>changes. When merging the changes of the branch into the main trunk, no
>conflict occurs, although it is expected.
>
>The described situation happens, when we actually move files in the main
>trunk (larger refactoring), but want to get conflict, that need to be
>solve manually in the moved file.

This is not in fact a conflict - a conflict would be when you two
changes cannot be resolved - in this case you have deleted the file
from the trunk then merged in a new file from the branch and it
behaves as expected - the branch takes precedence as there is no
longer any file on the trunk to conflict with.