[cvsnt] Timestamp problem

Lawson.Reed Reed.Lawson at IGT.com
Tue Sep 9 17:00:49 BST 2003

Ok. That makes sense. I was wrong that "U" files came over with the
old timestamp every time. It's just the "U" files that are new that
come over with the older timestamp.

Thanks Paul!
__________________________________
Reed Lawson
IGT Firmware Engineering
(775) 448-0755

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Russell [mailto:paul_newsgroups at yahoo.ca]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 9:58 PM
To: Lawson.Reed; cvsnt at cvsnt.org
Cc: Mason.Michael
Subject: Re: [cvsnt] Timestamp problem

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think its like this:

Fresh Checkout - Get files with timestamp from last commit.
Update - Use current time.

The reason is that if you:
  -compile/build using a make program
  -do an update that causes changes (regressed or another's work)
  -do another compile/build,
then you want the changes compiled. If the updated files had the timestamp
from the repository, then they might not get rebuilt by many make programs
that rely on timestamps. You may end up with object/binary files that are
out of sync with your source (murder to debug). So this kind of update
always gets the latest time stamp.

If you want the original time stamps for say a distribution, then check out
to a new location (temporary folder).

-Paul R.

"Lawson.Reed" <Reed.Lawson at IGT.com> wrote:

Hi,

One of our users just showed me something that shocked me.
I was in disbelief at first, but he is right....

If you run update and the file comes over as a patch "P"
then the time stamp on the file is the current time. If its
a "U", then it gets the time stamp of when that version was
created in the archive. Is this normal behavior? (please say no)

This does not seem right to me.

I would expect if I check out a particular version of a file
that the time stamp on the file (in Windows Explorer) would
represent the time it was created in the archive on the server
regardless of how cvs chooses to transport it. The $Header$
keyword displays the time the file was created in the archive.
The Entries file and the File System timestamp agree with
each other, but not the time/date text in the $Header$.

Can someone try this and tell me if they see the same thing?

We are using the latest beta from the WinCVS GUI site 1.3.b13 4/17/03
The cvs version on our server is slightly newer.

cvs version
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.2 (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.5 (client/server)

Is this my problem? If so, is there a way to update the "cvs"
that WinCVS is using without breaking WinCVS? Or do I need to
downgrade the server to 2.0.2?

Thanks,