[cvsnt] How to turn an erroneously set tag into a branch?

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Sep 10 17:28:26 BST 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:09:48 +0200, Oliver Giesen <giesen at lucatec.de>
wrote:
[snip]
> If you want to create a branch off a specific tag, all you have to do is:
>
> cvs rtag -b -rBaseTag NewBranch Module
>
> I don't see why that is such a problem. I think it is very essential to
> make a clear distinction between unique revision identifiers and symbolic
> names for development forks. As CVS currently does not have a mechanism
> for addressing branchpoints I'm putting tags whenever I branch anyway.

I agree completely.  I use tags to mark 'noteworth' points in development,
for example when I post a EXE to test or production.  Then, if I need to go
back and fix something or branch off at that point of time, I'll do so.

Note also that you can ALWAYS branch off at ANY arbitrary point in time
with CVS (and CVSNT).  Just checkout using the date parameters and then tag
that sandbox with a branch tag and you're off and running.  Note that I
don't do that typically so I don't have the syntax at my fingertips.  Also
note that you have to be good with remembering dates in that scenario...
let's not go there ;)

> Cheers,
>
> P.S.: I'm assuming you replied in private by accident and so I'm re-
> forwarding this back to the list. The CVSNT list requires you to manually
> reset the recipient to cvsnt at cvsnt.org for every reply. People frequently
> complain about this but so far, Tony can't be budged...

Try using "reply all" instead of just "reply"... works for me :)

--
Glen Starrett