[cvsnt] Import questions

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Sep 17 18:05:30 BST 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:22:46 -0700, "Lawson.Reed"
<Reed.Lawson at IGT.com> wrote:

>Coolness! Oliver says it's in 2.0.9 onwards. So, when is WinCVS
>going to pick that up? They are still back at 2.0.2

They're typically a bit behind, because they like to use a fully
tested version to avoid problems.  You can tell WinCVS to use the
latest version (but of course the dialogs won't reflect the new
options yet).

>That is the first thing I tried. Since cvs knows it's the same
>revision and time stamp, it changes nothing. :-(
>I did not see a way to force it. Is there one?
>the "-C" option did not do it.

$Header is written during a checkout/update.  It might also be set
during an add, although don't quote me on that one.

All the -C option is make a best guess what should go into the CVS
directories to avoid having to checkout afterwards.  It doesn't change
the way import works as it's entirely client side, so none of the RCS
stuff will get expanded.  Normally this isn't an issue - for most
people the import is done once when they start a project and never
again.

>Well, that is one of the requirments we impose here to make sure
>every new file has a $Header$ keyword in it. Also, what people
>do lots of times to start a new file is copy the top part of
>the file (or more) and rename things. In that case, it is
>in a "substituted" form (i.e. filled out).

In that case though they presumably wouldn't be using import, just
add/checkin.  Keyword expansion on import will be an issue if you're
regularly adding vendor modules to the tree.. not sure how to get
around that, though, as import is an entirely one-way funciton.