[cvsnt] Restricting file access

Aaron Kynaston akynaston at novell.com
Fri Sep 19 16:52:23 BST 2003

Isn't cvsnt just for NT?  Why not use the Linux version?

Linux has it's own OS rights built in . . .

I'd have to say that it would be a mute test to try to get cvsnt
working on linux . .

We have CVS (Linux version) running on a Linux box, and we all have the
cvsnt client, and that works fine . .

Aaron Kynaston
akynaston at novell.com
office: (801) 861-6709
cell: (801) 368-8633
fax: (801) 861-6778
Novell Inc., The leading provider in net services software.
www.novell.com

>>> Thorsten Lang <thorsten.lang at technotrend.de> 9/19/2003 1:55:30 AM

Hi everybody,
here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm running cvsnt 2.0.8 on a Linux machine using /var/cvsnt as
$CVSROOT. I
have created a directory for lockfiles in /var/lock/cvsntlocks
belonging to
the cvs group and all cvs users have write access to it. This is the
line
from my config file: LockDir=/var/lock/cvsntlocks

The cvs group does not have write access to the /var/cvsnt/CVSROOT
directory
since its members are not allowed to tamper with the configuration.
However
I do want them to be able to edit the modules file whenever they are
about
to start working on a new module.

Is this possible at all?

So far I keep getting the same error whenever I try to commit to the
repository:
"cvs [server aborted]: could not open lock file
`/var/cvsnt/CVSROOT/,modules,': Permission denied"

The odd thing about it is that the lockfiles do get created in
/var/lock/cvsntlocks despite the above error message.

I've already tried changing the individual files' permissions to group
write
access, but as long as the directory itself remains read-only
committing
does not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thorsten