[cvsnt] Partialy OT: CVSNT and Firewall/Router

keith d. zimmerman lists at kdz13.net
Fri Sep 19 22:35:49 BST 2003

We have a guy here who does the same thing.  The problem with most NAT
implementations is that they do not deal with the inside connection
thing quite right.  Your two best bets are:

	1.  If you have control of the DNS server inside the firewall,
you could make myhost.com point to the internal address instead.  This
doesn't work if you have other services set up on other boxes inside
that you would like to access.
	2.  You can edit your {WindowsSystemDirectory}\drivers\etc\hosts
to contain a bogus entry like
			10.3.6.183
MyCurrentCvsServer
And then you could have little batch files that swap the IP inside that
file.  Then you would do
				cvs -d:sspi:MyCurrentCvsServer:/repos co
modulename
And the ip of the server switches whenever you wish.  This is what my
coworker does - it works quite well...

BTW, you only need to open 2401.  2402 is only used on the localhost by
the server, and does not need to be open to the client.

Best of wishes,

keith d. zimmerman, mcsd
eagle solutions