[cvsnt] pserver connection problem to win2k server, cvsnt 2.0.8

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Sep 25 10:10:46 BST 2003

Gesa Prien wrote:

> 4) "telnet 9.155.227.50 2401" does not work, not even locally on the
>     server.
>     Observation: There seems to be a short connection to the server,
>                  then I get the message "Connection to host lost."
>                  without having entered anything.
> What could be the problem here? (I'm working in a LAN and have switched
> off all firewalls.)

Firstly I'd try uninstalling the firewall temporarily - some of them can do
really strange things to the TCP/IP stack, even when they're disabled.

You should get a connection line in the output from cvsservice -test.  If
you're not getting that then you're not talking to the cvs service at all,
which would imply something really odd going on locally on your box.

>    C:\>cvs login
>    Logging in to :pserver:pvr at 9.155.227.50:2401:/PVR
>    CVS password: *******
>    cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server 9.155.227.50: -1:
>       No such file or directory

That's usually a symptom of a dodgy firewall.  Try connecting to 127.0.0.1
(although I expect you'll get the same symproms).