[cvsnt] pserver connection problem to win2k server, cvsnt 2.0.8

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Sep 25 16:28:57 BST 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:39:25 +0100, <chris.roberts at ubs.com> wrote:

>Tony,
>
>There appears to be many users seeing the error reponse:
>
>Error reading from server 9.155.227.50: -1:
>

>It seems to be related to firewall/router installations, although disabling seems not to resolve.
>
>I've not been able to use my local cvs for months now(I've fallen back to other means). but am really keen to start using again.
>
>I had a quick look at the source code and it looked like this error could occur for a number of different issues.

The only place that it occurs really is at the very start of the
communication.  The client connects, but the firewall for one reason
or another kills the connection.  The TCP/IP stack then returns an
error with no meaningful error code (since no real error has
occurred).

It's not actually that common, and the 100% cure is to uninstall the
offending firewall/AV (firing off a complaint to the firewall
manufacturer wouldn't go amiss either).

I'm actually tracing all the information available.. there's nothing
more to do, really, since it's not a cvs problem it's a firewall
problem.