[cvsnt] Modules file and lock permission

Aaron Kynaston akynaston at novell.com
Tue Sep 30 18:29:12 BST 2003

Yea, I've never been able to use spaces in the modules file - looks like
WinCVS requires that the module file have all avaialble modules. . .it
would seem to me that the modules file is more of a 'shortcut' file that
allows you to 'alias' module names in a way.

For example, if I am working with customer ABC, and I have their code
in:

home/repository/Customers/SpecificData/ABC

I can put a line in my modules file:

ABC  home/repository/Customers/SpecificData/ABC

and then can check out like this:

cvs co ABC

and it works fine.  If there's a space anywhere in the directory name,
it doesn't seem to work.

As far as the lock file works, we've set a LockDir in our
CVSROOT\config file, and then allowed complete access to that directory
for every user,a nd this works great.

At 09:20 AM 9/30/2003, Yang, Judy Bin wrote:
>VersionControl is my CVS root. CVS_test is the module the CVSusers
have R/W
>permission.  I, the CVS admi have no problem to check out anything.
>

>But the CVSusers have two problems:
>

>1.      When they use Wincvs check out Module, and click browse
button, they
>get this message:
>
>Module file doesn't contain module definition.
>

>My modules file is like this: (It contains space)
>

>Production stATS Production stATS
>
>MACS MACS
>
>ATS SmartVision ATS SmartVision
>
>CVS_demo1 CVS_demo1
>
>SuperTrak SuperTrak
>
>CVS_test CVS_test

Look through the archives here--I'm not certain you can use spaces in
the
modules file, or at the least you need to escape them.  Also, the
modules
file you list wouldn't be necessary if you're using cvsnt for the
server--which version of cvs are you using on the server?

>     2.   If  just type in the name of the module, get the following
message:

>cvs server: failed to remove lock dir
>`D:/StandardProducts/CVSrep/VersionControl/CVS_test/#cvs.lock':
Permission
>denied

Could be anti-virus realtime file scan interference.  Make sure that is

turned off, and that all cvs users have full permissions to add /
delete
files in the repository.  I documented my permissions setup at
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/SetAcl for reference.

Hope this helps.

Glen Starrett