[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT 2.0.34 puts extra info in RCS files that CVSGraph does not like...

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Apr 2 10:50:55 BST 2004

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:43:22 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>This is a copy of an email that was posted on the ViewCvs mailing
>list.
>I thought that I should re-post it here in order to have Tony or
>someone else look at it and see if anything can be done about it.
>I have looked at some of my RCS files and indeed there is no @
>characters enclosing the committing user.
>/Bo

The @ characters are necessary when then username contains
non-alphanumeric tokens.  It's actually an error in the original RCS
specs - they treated the author name as a token which fails horribly
if the name has a space or several other characters in it (@, ;, a few
others).

Even in the 'old' CVS if you had a username with spaces you'd get a
broken RCS file which CVS could read but RCS couldn't, so there's no
real change to the behaviour in that sense... CVSNT tries to avoid
using the @ bracketing if your name is also a valid token.

Really you must use the RCS wrappers with CVSNT repositories.  These
handle such things (and more major changes, like binary deltas)
transparently.