[cvsnt] Re: compatibility

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Apr 5 23:44:10 BST 2004

Malcolm.Brown at reuters.com wrote:

  > My issue is that I need to keep repository compatability between what I am
using now on this project and what is used by other groups in the company.
Clients and server processes can be as disparate as they like, but the repo
must stay compatable.

You should only ever have one server using a repository so I don't see how
this can be an issue.  Once you have a cvsnt repository, use cvsnt with it.

> I realise that CVSNT can use the repo of base cvs.
> I also realise that base cvs cannot unserstand the CVSNT storage of binary data.
> Base cvs cannot make use of mergepoint data
> Other than that I am unsure.

There's no guaranteed backword compatibility and more, although it's still
largely compatible.  There's little need for it (although I suspect a well
crafted sed script can handle anything that's in the pipeline anyway).