[cvsnt] Re: CVS Lock Service and slow checkouts

Jake Hughes jhughes at accentopto.com
Thu Apr 15 18:08:44 BST 2004

"Tony Hoyle" <tmh at nodomain.org> wrote in message
news:4hft705pgsnv1l36843akkc9h9ggt2r4qk at 4ax.com...
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:43:00 -0700, "Jake Hughes"
> <jhughes at accentopto.com> wrote:
>
> >My server (latest stable CVSNT and Windows 2003 Server) has twice had
> >extremely slow checkouts, both times I found the CVS Lock Service using a
> >consistent 50% of processor, whether a checkout was in progress or not.
> >From what I can tell, the CVS Lock Service hanging at 50% was the cause
of
> >the slow checkouts.
> >
> It's actually normal if you have multiple checkouts for the lockserver
> to start consuming some, although you'd need a lot to get to 50% (at
> least 20 or 30 I'd expect). I've successfully tested it with 200
> simultaneous checkouts and although it slows down it does get there.
>
> Some earlier versions of the lockserver didn't scale nearly so much,
> but would still take 10 simultaneous checkouts or more to get to a 50%
> load (5% per client isn't bad really, but the new ones are 1% or
> less).
>
> Once you get to those levels though your main problem is going to be
> memory - a CVS process can use quite a lot, and many of them can fill
> your memory.
>
> Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the quick response.  The most checkout's at one time that I've
seen on this server 7 simultaneous.  My users are spread between the US and
the UK, so while one group of Engineers is using CVS, the other group is
asleep.

Here's the stats on my server:

HP Net Server with Dual PIII's at 854 MHZ
1 Gb of RAM
HP NetRaid controllers on a full raid 5

The system should be able to handle a significant load wouldn't you say?  I
have verified that when the server is slow, the lock service is at 50% and
NO checkouts are active.......

Not sure if you have any more to add, but figured I'd send all the info I
had...

Thanks again,

Jake