[cvsnt] Re: Way to dispose of Attic files

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Apr 16 22:03:38 BST 2004

Aaron Kynaston wrote:
> I see the Attic's practical use as providing a way to get at files under
> previous tags (snapshots if you will), for even those files that I've
> deleted!
>
> I've simply removed a lot of attic files, but the whole idea of a
> source code repository is to be able to get back at previous versions
> true?
>
> What do you mean in saying there's no pratical use - I'd like to make
> sure I understand correctly, becuase that's currently how I use cvs . .

He meant that the act of the CVS server using the directory called
"Attic" was no longer useful, and that the server leaves deleted files
directly in their original directories.  The deleted files are just
marked as deleted without moving their location.

Not to second guess anyone, but I think Martin's original question may
have been miserterpreted.  I would have assumed he was talking about
perminantly deleting these old files--perhaps they were accidentally
added, etc.  In that case, when they are no longer of any use (even from
a historical perspective), they can be deleted from the repository.
Just be certain that you *really* don't need them!

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett