[cvsnt] Re: cvslock.exe at 100% CPU?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Apr 23 20:46:16 BST 2004

kdea at alpine-la.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have cvsnt 2.0.38 on Win2K server.  The server is a 3.0 GHz P4 with 512
> MB of RAM.  My users, and there aren't many (less than 20 people),
> routinely complain to me that it is slow to update their projects on cvs.
> When I check the machine, I sometimes see several instances of cvslock.exe
> or one instance using up 100% of the CPU.  I need to shut off the service
> and restart it, to get the box working at a normal clip again.  I admit,
> I'm not too familiar with the practical usage of cvs, I just manage the
> box.  This is also probably not enough information for anyone to know what
> is going on.  What should I be looking for?  The box does not do anything
> else but be a software repository.

There should only ever be one instance of cvslock.exe, and that's started by
the OS on boot - find out what's starting multiple ones and you'll probably be
well on the way to finding the problem I suspect.  As for the CPU usage I've
never encountered this & suspect AV/Firewall interference somewhere (but can't
prove it).