[cvsnt] Re: Question about tagging.

JasonWisener tanky1972 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 25 05:18:07 BST 2004

Hmmmm....
I understand what you are saying Glen about expectations and process
improvement, I am definitely on your side there ;)

But we have someone that worked at a company that states they had used cvs
to provide this type of configurability . He stated that the system allowed
them to "tag" features and then when the build master got ready to build,
he/she could simply pull a list of tags and then build all of that together.
Seems like it could be possible?

For example, If  developerA was going to work on a feature, then developerA
would get an identifier (FE-1) such that all changes could
be associated/grouped (CVS tag, maybes he/she moves the tag throughout the
changes).

Then if another developerB was going to work on another feature he/she would
get a unique identifier as well (FE-2) and tag also (perhaps moving the tag
throughout the changes as well).

So, if I was going to do the build, would it be possible for me to ask CVS
give all files that are at tagged FE-1, and also give me all files that are
tagged FE-2 and besure to merge the two overlaps together into the build
sandbox: For example if developerA changed foo.c as part of FE-1, and
developerB changed foo.c as part of FE-2, (no conflicts), can I get both
changes into foo.c when I'm about to do a build?

How do people do this, surely there is a way. How do you pull out
"feature-X" from a system before releasing (Maybe feature-X is broken) and
you don't want to release that part of it.

thanks,
-jw.