[cvsnt] CVSNT exclusive or reserved checkouts

Neumann, Trish Trish.Neumann at NielsenMedia.com
Mon Apr 26 18:10:06 BST 2004

Hi All,

Had seen some emails from some time ago regarding this issue and wanted to
get any information to possible solutions, etc.

Concurrent Versions System v2.0.9 - CVSNT.  Some of development needs
reserved checkouts for binary files, etc.  Other than that CVS needs to keep
it's true meaning of Concurrency for users.

During investigation, found some emails from the above and wanted to verify
if there is in fact a way for reserving certain checkouts.  We tested the
#cvs.lock, #cvs.wfl/.rfl and commands: admin -1, commit -c and edit -c as
found in some references.

The -c didn't sound in references like it was a completely reserved checkout
anyway, since it could be undone from an  unedit -c command. Can you provide
some information regarding how/if the reserved checkout works for v 2.0.9.?

According to WinCVS.org (noted on site as below), this capability is not
available, please let me know any information you may have.

	When I try to lock a file I get:

	cvs [admin aborted]: 'admin -l' is a deprecated option.
Use 'edit -c' instead.What now ?

	Sorry, not yet.

	What are reserved edits ? How can I use them ?

	Sorry, not yet.

	When should I use locking / reserved edits and why ?

	Sorry, not yet.

Thank you,

Trish